Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Cry It Out :( and Tummy Time

Emmy is getting bigger and stronger each and every day - and so are her little lungs! Wow, can she wail when she wants too (like around 3:30am last night!). She has been a very good little sleeper for us so far, but sometimes will wake up around 3 or 4am. So I have been just scooping her up and letting her sleep with me until it is time for her to eat her morning bottle - like around 6ish. Well, we decided this weekend that when she wakes up in the middle of the night we need to let her cry it out and put herself back to sleep. Since our house is often like musical beds, we wanted to try and condition Emmy early to soothe herself back to sleep. She doesn't wake up in the middle of the night every single night, just once in a while. So I figured, how bad could it be, right? She cried for 90 minutes last night! Is that even POSSIBLE!?!?!?!? How in the world can a baby cry that long without falling asleep? Since Emmy is still in our room, I put her in the bathroom with the door shut and the fan on so her crying wouldn't keep us awake. No luck - her lungs work quite well! Kevin migrated to the bonus room and slept on the couch and I stayed in our room (pillow over my head) and listened to her cry (tear, tear)! Now I did not let her cry for 90 minutes straight, I would go in and soothe her every so often, but I never dreamed it would take this long! Just as I thought she was falling asleep and I would start to fall back to sleep, she would start up again! I wanted to pick her up so bad, but for those of you familiar with the "cry it out" method you know that picking up your baby is the one and only thing you are not supposed to do. Not even after 90 minutes of crying! I think that Ellie and Drew may have a new competitor for the hardest head in the family ;) Hopefully tonight will be better - I've got earplugs!

During the day, Miss Emmy is beginning to look and act more and more like a baby each day! The "brand new baby" stage is fading away and she has periods of time for an hour or so that she is awake and is not eating or crying - this is great progress! She is beginning to like tummy time a little better and getting stronger each day!








Working all day tomorrow - hope my ear plugs work ;)
Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment