Monday, October 12, 2009

Tagged! Kid's Names!

Adrienne tagged me to explain how I came up with my kid's names. I have always LOVED dreaming of what I would name my children and it is so funny how your taste changes! I think of names that I used to be dead set on naming my children and a.) none of my children have those names and b.) these names were no where near the top 10 on our list. So...most of you know that Kevin is extremely laid back. And when it comes to names, he is still a pretty laid back guy, but also very "square," as in he likes pretty normal (as oppossed to really "different") names. And whenever I mentioned a name that he said he didn't like, while I knew I could talk him into it if I really wanted to, I didn't want to have the memory of him not liking our child's name. So I always had to preface my suggestions with, "Now don't answer to fast, because I REALLY like this name..." So anyway, here we go.

1) Andrew Harris - We found out that Drew was a boy when I was 20 weeks pregnant. We both like traditional names for boys. So we all know that when thinking of names, you always think of people you know with those names and picture those people when you hear the name. I have always liked the name Matthew, but have 2 cousins named Matthew, so decided not to use it. I also liked the name William, but knew a ton of Will's. So when we talked about Andrew, I could only think of 1 other Drew that I knew and di. I liked the idea of a traditional name that I didn't "picture" someone else with. So Andrew it was. And I am a total nickname person so we call him Drew. Harris is a family name. It was Kevin's grandmother's maiden name and is also Kevin's middle name and Kevin's dad's middle name.

2) Elliott Elizabeth - We did not know that Ellie was a girl until she was born. Kevin and I were just positive that I was having another boy. So in the hospital, in the delivery room, Pitocin working, we were drawing names out of a hat to decide the name of our little "boy" that we just knew we were having. "He" was going to be William James or Luke O'Brien. William and Luke were just traditional names we liked and James and O'Brien are family names. I liked the idea of family names as middle names. I was more partial to William because I thought since Drew went by a nickname, this one should too. Kevin liked Luke. This is why we were drawing names in the hospital. So anyway, we knew that if it was a girl she would be Elliott Elizabeth. Elliott is a family name on my mother's side (don't even ask who because I don't remember...heard there was a family member named Elliott and I ran with it) and Elizabeth is my name. I loved the sound of "Drew and Ellie" and think that Ellie is just an adorable name. I also wanted them both to have nicknames. Needless to say, when the doctor said "It's a girl!" we just knew that Ellie was perfect for her!

3) Emery Caroline - So Emmy gets a little crazy! We found out she was a girl and I immediately decided that she would have a name that started with an E so that I could monogram things with an E and get two uses out of them. I also knew that she had to have a nickname since the other two did. And so the hunt began. I searched every female "E" name on the internet! So I first decided that we would call her Emmy, but I couldn't decide on her "full" name. Yes, I had the nickname before the real name. I narrowed it down to Emily or Emersyn. I wanted something that "matched" my other two kids, so I posted a voting poll on the babycenter website. I have always loved the name Emily, but didn't know if it was just too classic and didn't really "go" with Elliott. And Emersyn is really cute too but becoming more and more popular. So after several days of votes on the baby center (about 50/50...no help at all), someone suggested the name Emery. I instantly knew that was it! Matched Andrew and Elliott perfectly. Classic but not something you hear a TON and definitely not a "trendy" or "popular" name. Caroline comes from my middle name before I got married which was Carol.

Ok, so way longer post than I planned - guess we all go a little overboard when it comes to our kids names. I tag:

Monkey Mama

The Daily Craziness

Happy Hedrick Home

Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment