Friday, April 10, 2009

Paint, Projects, and Pancakes

So I started out wondering what in the world I was going to do all week with Drew and Ellie: Drew had spring break, so no school, and I only had to work on Wednesday - which left me at home with the kids ALL DAY LONG on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday AND Friday!!! In my emotional state, I was looking forward to spending time with my kids but also wondering how in the world I was going to entertain an 18 month old and a 4 year old at the same time AND finish all of my half started projects around the house, but we made it and now it's FRIDAY!

So let's just start by saying that Michael's is NOT Ellie's favorite store. In fact, she starts crying the moment we walk through the front door. So I should mention that I have a hard time concentrating in Michael's to begin with (my "pregnant ADD" kicks in and I can't remember what supplies I need for each of the 100 projects I have on my "to do" list). Nevertheless, I become even more distracted with a screaming 18 month old and a 4 year old requesting a "prize" on each and every aisle we walk down (I know, I shouldn't be bribing, but what can I say). To top it all off, I usually get home only to be missing that 1 important supply so am yet again, stuck with a half done project and another necessary trip to Michael's with my two little "shoppers."

Yesterday, for whatever reason, the kids decided to be halfway cooperative in the craft store! I would say that I was in there for almost an hour (almost 4x our normal stay)! Maybe I was just more tolerant of being THAT Mom with the screaming toddler and I for some reason thought it would be ok to be talked into that "prize" with the price tag of $12.99 (WAY more than I usually spend on prizes, which Kevin has informed me I should not be doing). When I told Kevin about Drew's new "Tech Decks" his remarks are "So that's why Drew always asks me for a prize when we go somewhere." I guess I get desparate for some shopping time and bribery is the one thing that works! But anyway, yesterday I was able to get a lot accomplished in Michael's and even finshed a few of my projects!

Before I reveal my projects, I need to tell you about a project that Drew and his buddy Shawn thought would be fun! I have blogged about all of Kevin's sanding and painting projects that are taking over our garage (not by his choice, but by my direction) right now so you can imagine what these two got into. Yep, that's right the paint. And it literally took less than 45 seconds. We were all outside playing and Drew and Shawn went into the garage, as they often do to get a toy. I am not even kidding you, not 1 minute later I looked up into the garage to see paint on part of the chest where it did not belong. I run up to the garage only to find PAINT everywhere!

On the steps...



the back of the tricycle...



the garage floor...


and of course on little legs...


I could not believe the amount of paint that covered stuff in our garage in a matter of minutes! I was telling the boys how disappointed I was in them and asking who painted each thing, to which Drew promply and innocently answered "me" or "Shawn" with tears in his eyes. Continuing to interogate in my stern disciplining voice I asked "And who painted the inside of the chest?" to which Drew very innocently (and with a serious face) replied "Which part, the top part or the bottom part?" I burst out laughing by his innocence and his desire to make sure he was telling me the truth (since one of them painted the top and one of them painted the bottom)! It was so funny to see him so upset over each question I asked and to then be quite intent on getting the answers to my question correct! Needless to say, it is nothing that a little paint thinner can't fix. But it did make for an interesting "talk" when Daddy got home!

So on to my half done projects that I finally finished: The first is this little sign that I got online from http://www.scribbleitonline.com/ It has our last name and the year we were married. It came with a silver tin that you are supposed to put it on, but I just wasn't into the bright silver, it just didn't "go" with the rest of my house. So I found a piece of wood (at Michael's of course - on the Monday trip aka: the BAD trip, not the Thursday trip aka: the $13 prize trip) and spray painted it, then tied a ribbon to it and hung it over our TV cabinet down stairs. We never watch TV down stairs and it is haning on one of the doors so if we decide to open the doors we still can.

I also got some frames and used scrapbook paper and rick rack to frame some black and white pictures for the girls room.



And I finally finshed my little birdie project! It is quite possibly the most crafty thing I have EVER done. The picture doesn't do it much justice, but it looks really cute hanging from the ceiling in the girls room!



Here is an up close of some of the birds. I decorated them with scrapbooking supplies from Michael's.



So here we are, finally Friday. Kevin took off the day and we have just been hanging out! It has been nice to have him home! He and Drew started the day off by making pancakes this morning.

and Ellie found a good place to sit and watch!

Happy Friday to everyone!
Love to all!

1 comment:

  1. The bird cage looks great! Oh, and bribery is perfectly fine- it's almost required to survive mommyhood!

    ReplyDelete