Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Mega, Major, MASSIVE Meltdowns

Oh. My. Goodness. I have never wiped so many tears from little cheeks, shushed crying babies/toddlers/preschoolers all at once, or threatened bedtime at 4:30 so many times in my life!!! The kids have been awesome for the past several weeks with very few meltdowns, tantrums, etc. But when it rains, it pours. And it has definitely poured today, well this afternoon at least. My patience can handle a lot, but all three crying at once for longer than about 10 minutes is more than my frazzled Mommy Mind can take - especially at 4pm when Daddy won't be home until 7pm and my wine bottle is EMPTY (from the night before, not today... come on, I'm not that bad people...well not yet at least)! AHHHHHHH! I will spare you the details of each child's meltdown, but let's just say that nothing would please Ellie, Drew would play with his friends until midnight and STILL cry when it is time to go home, and Emmy is just a hungry little baby!

When we have days like this, and we really don't that often, I have to step back and remember how incredibly lucky I am to have three happy, healthy children that I love more than anything in the world. And I am truly grateful and feel blessed by the grace of God each and every day. I know that there are people out there that have lost their children and would give anything in this world for a day full of meltdowns. Like Katie, who lost her daughter Reese last week, only days after she was born. Or Angie who lost her daughter last year, only hours after she was born. I do not know these women, but their stories have touched my heart and I pray for them and their families. My heart aches for them and for all parents that have had to bury a child - it just isn't right. So, while some days at home might be better than others, I am grateful for every day.

Though today's post might come across as negative, or nasty, or boring, or whatever, please know that those are not my intentions. That is just what happened, here, in our house, today. Pretty uneventful and boring, but it is what it is. Which got me thinking, why blog?

I blog NOT for others to read...but I am glad that some do and hope that you enjoy it
I blog NOT to post pictures of my children for everyone to see...but they are cute, aren't they;)
I blog NOT to win awards...clearly I am not and will not
I blog NOT to vent...I have a fabulous husband who is a great listener (and a saint if you ask me)
I blog NOT to advertise and make money...but wouldn't turn it down if it started coming my way

I blog for three reasons: Drew, Ellie, and Emmy. I blog so that my children might one day begin to understand how very much I love them. I blog to document our days together so that they can look back and see how much fun we had together (or how their meltdowns nearly sent Mommy off the deep end). I blog the memories that we have created. I blog at night when I am sitting on the couch, in my little corner, and thanking God for all that he has given me. I blog so that through my writing, my children may one day understand how much they mean to me.

I cherish each and every day I have with my children, meltdowns and all. Therefore, I blog.

Love to all!

3 comments:

  1. Oh that's our house every day!:) Especially with 2 girls-DRAMA! You know it will be cool to look back 20 years from now on our blogs and let our kids read about how their lives were. Everyone with kids should blog for that very reason!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post. You are SO right...we are lucky to have what we do. I have cried ready Katie's blog about Reese. So sad! It sure makes you hug and kiss your own a little tighter. I can't remember if I told you, but I am going to use www.blurb.com to make a book from my blog. They "suck" your blog into a book and I have seen a few great ones. That way you will always have the "stories of your life" for your children to read. I will probably do my first book next month. I'll let you know how it goes! Take care and keep blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..perfectly said, Liz! I love reading your blog and I know your children will at some point in their lives! I want to start one soon as I think it is great "online journal" as well as a gift to kids when they are older! So weird..I read both of those blogs you mentioned. Makes you realize how connected the online world really is. jen roberts

    ReplyDelete